Monday, October 29, 2007

Post of Race Report Posts: !Snapped!

This is my first post to the CB Cyclocross Blog. Not my first post ever to any blog, but nevertheless my first post here. Now, usually I have to put on the right music...not too intense, not too mild....pour myself a little whiskey (writing is always better with a little whiskey). Then, only when the conditions are just right can I devote some sweet-sweet keystrokes to the musings of cyclocross...

Not this time.
Why? You might be asking yourself. Well, self, because I've been mulling this one over for a little over a week now, and I think I'm ready.

Here it is:
Pete Smith is the Hammer of Thor personified, sent down to wreak havoc on the cyclocross world, and he has lessons for us all. *Hint* It's down near the bottom of the post.


Now I know that is a pretty bold statement, but look what results I have to consider here. Sure he did pretty well at the Granouge Race. I mean 4th is ok. If you're into that whole "podium" thing. What I want everyone to consider here is his performance the next day at the Wissihickon (or however you spell that fricken name) Race.

People ask me..."Pete did so good the day before, what happened?" Well, I'm here to tell you what happened.

This guy had no call up to the front row. Being new to the MAC peleton he had no points and had to start back. Way back, like sixth row back. So what did he do? Did he cry about it to the officials? No. Did he complain about it to the other racers? No. Or, at least I don't think so. What he did do was scratch and claw his way up to the chase group in about two laps.

That's when our little friend calamity reared her ugly head.

Snapped chain.

What does Pete-Smith-Hammer-of-Thor do at this point? Does he call it a day? Pack it in? Throw in the towel? Cry to mommy? Punch an official? Kick a puppy?

No.

He picks up his bike and runs like hell. In fact, since he had just passed the pit he runs like hell for half a lap. Then, and we have this on video if you don't believe me, he takes a pit bike and proceeds to slay fellow crossers with it. Pete Rubi and Tall Erik meanwhile are moving like agile little monkeys readying Pete Rubi's bike for Mr. Smith to leap on at the next opportunity.

Now, I know what you are thinking here. "Well, at this point, he was probably just soft pedaling...giving up." Must I reiterate? The Hammer of Thor does not soft pedal. Once again, I can, and will refer you to the video. He is passing people, and not just passing people, but closing the door on them. Slamming the door of opportunity in their faces to finish in 23rd place.

It is not the placing that matters though, its the god damned PROFESSIONALISM here people!

Lets Review in a linear fashion:
-Started 6th Row -Moved into top ten -!SNAPPED CHAIN! -Ran half a lap -Took a pit bike
-Swapped onto someone else's bike -Finished the race

So, what in fact is the lesson here? I think, in my humble opinion the lesson is this. *If you totally eliminate the idea of dropping out, well, then that option doesn't exhist does it?*

1 comments:

thayne said...

A tale so epic that great odins raven should deliver it to cross racers everywhere! Or at the very least link this blog!